11 January 2011

2011 Year Of The Seahorse


Happy new year, everyone!

I started the year by joining in the Year Of Jewelry Project 2011. I have followed the YOJP for a number of years now, and this year I decided to take part myself. I started the year off by making a number of my signature seahorses using a string of gorgeous tourmaline beads I found toward the end of last year. I picked the darkest greens and blues from the string to make a special gift for my sister, who is dying from an inoperable brain tumor. My first thoughts of seahorse jewelry were inspired years ago by the "Live Seahorse Family!" she bought through the mail from an ad in a comic book. Unfortunately, all but two of the seahorses were dead on arrival, and the last two joined them soon after. My sister dried those last two, and wanted to figure out a way to make them into earrings. Oh! How I wanted them! They were so delicate and lovely! Flash forward to just a few years ago. I had made a pair of wire wrapped earrings with a spiral on the bottom, and five people in one day told me they reminded them of seahorses, and I thought, "SEAHORSES!" So after all this time, and all the seahorses I have made, I decided to make a very special one as a Christmas gift for my sister, and the daughter she will leave behind.



After the holidays were over, and things settled back into a normal routine, I thought again of making more seahorses. there were still a good amount of the tourmalines, so I went to it!



New Year's Day saw the birth of a lovely pink tourmaline seahorse with a beautiful keishi pearl dorsal fin. I loved how the pearly soft colors looked together, and carried more of the pearls into the wire wrapped gemstone necklace chain.



The next day, another green tourmaline seahorse came forth. It was of paler greens, and I used a prasiolite (green amethyst) briolette for its dorsal fin. A friend who has been wanting one of my seahorses, but was waiting for the right one, saw it and immediately claimed it for her own.



The third seahorse, made on 3 January, was made in shades of yellow, and went to another friend who has been wanting one of my seahorses.



By this time, my supply of tourmaline beads had dwindled, but I thought I could squeak out one more small one. The stones that were left were in shades of pale pink, with a few watermelon tourmalines. As I was looking for just the right briolette for its fin (I settled on a beautiful, faceted watermelon tourmaline briolette), I found part of a string of tiny, pale pink rose quartz beads, and I decided that they would look fantastic with the tourmalines, so I used them instead of my usual silver beads to fill the body of the pendant. The results were delightful!



It always makes me happy to make these little creatures, and I feel a few more waiting to be born. I ordered more gemstones with seahorses in mind, so you will be seeing another flock of them soon! As always, I donate a portion of every seahorse sale to organizations working to protect and conserve these magical creatures. Jewelry with a conscience! I love that! I will post them here and on the YOJP blog. Thanks for popping by!



Wishing you all a wonderful 2011!
~Pippi

Project Seahorse: http://seahorse.fisheries.ubc.ca/index.html

The Seahorse Trust: http://www.theseahorsetrust.co.uk/

8 comments:

Isabela Harsenie said...

I am so sorry about your sister! :(
Your seahorses are truly amazing!

Jwm29 said...

Nicely done, pippi! Nicely done indeed! Apologies for not keeping up with your blog. John

pippijewelry said...

@Isabela Thank you!

@John I have been so busy with school and life that I have not been the greatest at keeping up on my blog, either. :) Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.

WillOaks Studio said...

I noted your seahorses on Etsy, found your blog address and had to drop by for a closer look. These pieces are just amazing and your whole story about them is excellent. So, so sorry about your sister, though.....

Joslin Jewels said...

Super cute and well done as always. :)

Sandi/sassyglassdesigns said...

Your seahorses are amazing...I love them and the inspiration behind them. When I lived in Florida I had a salt-water fish tank and actually had a couple seahorses in it...we caught them ourselves - the were such fun to watch.

noricum said...

Lovely! I'm so sorry about your sister.

Helena said...

It's really emotional and inspirational blog for me! I really love gemstone and always love wear it but never thought such kind of idea. I also got many necklaces of turquoise beads but never tried to get any shape as shown above. Now, I would love try for my desired shape. God bless her and you too.