30 May 2010

The Latest Jewels



As promised in my last post, I took pictures of some of my latest projects and purchases to share with all of you. I have several pieces in the works right now, and have mentioned a few of them in my posts on my jewelry page on FaceBook, so I thought I would start with those.



I started making a Mercury-themed pendant, inspired by a pair of mercury head dime earrings a friend had made. When I was a little girl, I found a Mercury head dime buried in the garden, and thought it was the coolest thing! So I bought a few of them recently to make into jewelry. The pendant I am working on will be in the shape of a caduceus, the winged staff carried by the god, Mercury. It is a short herald's staff entwined by two serpents in the form of a double helix, and is sometimes surmounted by wings. This staff was first borne by Iris, the messenger of Hera. It was also called the wand of Hermes when he superseded Iris in much later myths. The long wires at the bottom of this piece in the works will become the serpents, and I will add more wires at the top to construct the wings.


Next I took pictures of the gorgeous topaz and citrine briolettes I bought from a vendor in Thailand. The smallest is 19.50 carats, and the largest is over 65 carats! I made the smaller (19.50 carat) blue topaz briolette into a necklace the other day before I headed out to my classes, so I would have a necklace to match the earrings I was wearing. Later, I realized that it looked like the necklace that Howl wears in the movie Howl's Moving Castle, which is a favorite of mine. I already have a pair of green tourmaline earrings that look like Howl's, so now I have the set! (I am such a dork!) The citrine briolettes I am keeping to make earrings for myself, and I will make the others into pieces to sell.



And finally, I have sold all of the seahorse earrings in my Etsy shop, so I decided to make another pair to list there. This time, I am using gold-filled wire to make them, and pairing the gold with blazing orange-red fire opals and matching briolettes of cubic zirconia. I finished the first seahorse this morning, and plan on completing the other one this afternoon, so I can list them tomorrow. I will probably make another pair with seed beads, too, as I really like the color the beads give them.




I also have several custom projects in the works, but those will have to wait for another post.
Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your weekend!
~Pippi

6 comments:

Eva Maria Keiser said...

Very inspiring, love the seahorse!

Wired 4 Style said...

Love them Pippi!
Blessings,
Terry

pippijewelry said...

Thank you both! :D

I am Alive said...

Wow.. I loved those Seahorse...Beautiful !

Anonymous said...

Woa, really great work!! I hava one question! Would you create another necklace that looks like the one that Howl's wear and by any chance, sell it to me? I really got interested. I see your answer here!

pippijewelry said...

I would be happy to make a Howl necklace for you. I have some blue topaz briolettes on order that would be perfect for the design. Send me a message on my Etsy page, and we can discuss the particulars. www.pippijewelry.etsy.com

Thanks! :D