01 January 2010

Welcome 2010!



Happy New Year to you all!

The year 2009 surely had some challenges, but I am always thankful for every day I get in life, and as I look back over the past year, I wouldn't change a thing! I didn't get as much jewelry making done as I would have liked in the past month, but it was nice to take things at a slower pace after our whirlwind move. My younger daughter and her boyfriend joined us for the holidays, which was delightful! We went bowling, and baked cookies, and watched episodes of the new Doctor Who, and generally enjoyed a relaxing time. I look forward to their moving back to Idaho after she is done with school, so they will be closer to us, and can visit more often.





The holidays also brought some more sales in my Etsy shop, which helped our holiday shopping, and bought me some new gemstones to play with. And, of course, I DID make jewelry! I did a trade with a lovely Etsy seller from Australia for some of her beautiful felted slippers. It turns out that we share the same birthday - a fun bit of serendipity! Louise from Pixie Lou Felt makes such beautiful things! I found her shop as I was looking for a pair of slippers to replace my old ones, which are falling apart at the seams. I saw a beautiful pair of blue and purple pixie boots in her shop, and wrote to ask her if she wanted to trade for jewelry. There were several bracelets she liked in my shop, which were more expensive than the boots, so she made me a pair of low slippers, too, and I made her a custom seahorse bracelet. Both of us were thrilled with our trade! :D











I also made a custom nose ring, or nath as they are called in India, for another Etsy seller, and had to try out a few more nath designs after that. One of the naths I made incorporated a paisley in the design. My fellow Etsy Wire Artisans Guild member, Sheridan Joslin of Joslin Jewels makes beautiful paisley designs, and I always wanted to try my hand at them.








The paisley nath turned out splendidly, and gave me some ideas for a pair of paisley earrings. I managed to find a string of gorgeous Baltic amber briolettes, and wanted to make a pair of really big, bold earrings with them, similar to a pair of costume earrings I saw a woman wearing recently. The paisley design was just the ticket to tie it all together! Since the frames of the paisleys were large, I kept the design as light and airy as possible, so they would be comfortable to wear. The background was netted with 30 gauge, fine silver wire, and I used gold seed beads and a few golden Swarovski crystals to carry the honey color throughout the design. The result was a fabulous pair of earrings measuring 3-3/4 inches in length, but weighing no more than a smaller pair of earrings, and certainly light enough to wear all day and into the night without the least bit of pulling or stretching of the wearer's ear holes.





Last night, I thought I'd make one last piece of jewelry for 2009, but wasn't feeling inspired, so all I made was a simple wrapped rose ring out of copper wire, then my husband and I watched a movie and rang in the new year quietly at home.

I hope 2010 is filled with happiness, good health, prosperity and lots of love for you all! Thanks for stopping by.
Cheers!
~Pippi

5 comments:

Jane Of Handmade Jewelry Club said...

Pippi, just to drop by to say Happy New Year to you! Cheers

pippijewelry said...

Thank you, Jane! Happy New Year to you, too! :D

PixieLouFelt said...

Happy New Year Pippi.
Have been wearing the bracelet. Enjoy 2010.
Louise

Shay Stone said...

Oooh I love your new slippers! I'm going to her store right now:) Your jewelry is looking awesome as ever Pippi.
Here's to a wonderful new year!

pippijewelry said...

Let Louise know You heard about her from me. :D