06 November 2009

A fly in the works...



As you may know, I have been working on a tutorial for my seahorse pendants for some time. I finished taking the last of the pictures over the last couple of days,and was excited to be so close to being done, but when I sat at the computer to edit them and insert them into the tutorial, I discovered that my husband accidentally deleted a section of them from the middle of the batch when he was updating our computer, so now I have to start over again making another seahorse and retaking all the pictures. He felt so bad! I told him not to worry about it, and I plan on pushing today to try to retake them all in one fell swoop. Good thing I did all those chores yesterday, so my day today is free. On the bright side, the first seahorse I made turned out beautifully, so it isn't a total loss.





In the evenings, when my husband and I hang out together, I often sit and do wire work while he works on his laptop in the chair next to mine. The other night, I was looking at a big (10+ carat), orange tourmaline briolette in my collection, and thinking I wanted to make something with it. Another wire artist friend of mine makes these cute little wire bugs, which I've always wanted to try, and I thought that the briolette would make the perfect insect abdomen!





I opened my sketch book and started drawing up the image I had in my head. I imagined lacy wire wings, so that the color of the briolette would peek through, and planned the paths the wires would take to become the legs and wings. I didn't start it that night, as it was getting late, but the next evening, I began cutting and wrapping the frame together. I made the first wing that night, and couldn't wait until the next morning to finish it! It turned out even better than I planned! And, I have several large marquise-shaped briolettes of smokey quartz that would also work nicely with this design, so I plan on making another one soon, and taking pictures to make a tutorial for this design, too.



Now, I'm off to gather the things I will need to retake my seahorse pictures.
See you again soon! :D
~Pippi

2 comments:

Jwm29 said...

I like your bug! John

Jwm29 said...

I like your fly!