01 September 2009

Egyptian Coil Variations



I have been meaning to try my hand at making an Egyptian Coil bracelet for some time now, and finally did it. And, of course, I couldn't stop at just one!

I followed a free tutorial on the blog of a fellow jewelry artist, Marie Christine, but added some small beads wrapped into the center of each coil, which I had seen on an Egyptian coil bracelet made by Delia Stone (though she tells me that she borrowed the idea from another artist, too).





My first attempt was done in 20 gauge copper wire, with tundra sapphires wrapped into the coils. I wanted the clasp to echo the spiral design, and fashioned my clasp with a large faceted nugget of moonstone. I had already made the chain, and wired the small stones into it, when I decided this, so I had to make the clasp while attached to the rest of the bracelet. A bit awkward, but it worked out. I was very pleased with how well it turned out, and immediately decided that I should make one in silver, too.





For this variation, I used 21 gauge sterling wire for the coiled links, and hammered them before linking them together. I raided my bead stash for stones to wrap into the chain, and ended up using the last of my little faceted amethyst beads. I didn't have enough of the small ones for the clasp, so I used some slightly bigger rondels around the faceted amethyst nugget in the clasp. It ended up looking quite stunning! I forgot to make the clasp first (again) and so had to build this one while attached to the bracelet, too.





I loved how the copper one looked so much, I decided to make another one, and finally made the clasp first! I used a gorgeous handmade lampwork bead by a talented Salt Lake City glass artist, Scott Tanner. (I bought my set from him on eBay, but am happy to announce that he now sells his work on Etsy!) I decided to go smaller with the beads set in the coils, and used bicolor green seed beads on this bracelet. They pick up the greens in the lampwork bead very nicely!





So here I am - three bracelets in three days, and I still haven't had enough of this design. I decided that I am going to make an Egyptian Coil chain for the steampunk piece I made up for a step out article for the Winter 2009 issue of Belle Amoire Jewelry magazine. I'm still playing around with ideas in my head before I start, but I'm sure that by this evening, I will be coiling away! I'll let you know how it turns out.




Glad you stopped by!
~Pippi

2 comments:

xcetrachick said...

The silver one is amazing! Love the purple stones.

pippijewelry said...

Thanks! I'm a sucker for amethyst! Lucky for me it is my birthstone, too. :D