03 September 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


Years ago, when I worked on my friends' organic farm, harvesting would begin early in the morning, and we would take a break around noon for lunch. When the zucchinis were producing like mad, Katherine would make up a big pan of chocolate zucchini cake from her mother's recipe, and we would hurry through our lunch, so we could pig out on her cake for dessert. It is a great way to use up a bunch of zucchini! I wrote down her recipe, but lost it somewhere in one of my moves, but often thought about how yummy it was.

So, when my neighbors told me to help myself to the stuff in their garden while they were away, and I found two huge zucchinis, my first thought was chocolate zucchini cake! I looked through all of my cook books for the recipe I'd copied, but to no avail, so I decided to just wing it. Mine turned out so well, I decided to share the recipe with you all. This one is really rich and chocolatey! (and a great way to disguise zucchini for your kids!) :D

Pippi's Chocolate Zucchini Cake


Ingredients

2 cups (organic) flour (I use 1 cup white, and 1 cup whole wheat)
1-1/2 cup organic cane sugar
3/4 - 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Dagoba Organic Cacao Powder)
2-1/2 tsp baking powder (I use Rumford's non-aluminum baking powder)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
4 eggs
1-1/2 cups (organic) olive oil
3 cups grated zucchini
5 oz. dark chocolate, chopped (I use Scharffen Berger 72% cacao chocolate - Chocolate chips work well, too.)
3/4 cup chopped nuts (or substitute 1 cup of rolled oats if you don't like nuts)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a spring-form pan (a 9" x 13" pan will work, too).

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa powder until well blended.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil and eggs, and add to the dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in the zucchini, chopped chocolate and nuts/oats until they are evenly distributed throughout the batter. Pour into the cake pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pan, before turning it out onto a plate. You can eat it as is, or frost with your favorite chocolate frosting. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us Pippi! How kind of you. :)

Jacquie said...

thank you for the recipe, it looks like a healthy one.