15 July 2009

Ketchum Arts Festival



The day after we got back from Spokane, I had to get set up for the Ketchum Arts Festival up in Sun Valley. This was my first time doing an outdoor show, and I was a little bit nervous, not knowing what to expect, but after 13 years of doing the Lane County Farmers Market booth for Horton Road Organics, I figured I'd be OK. On one of the blogs I follow, the artist shared her checklist for shows, so I used her template, and added things I needed. I bought a new Swissgear 10ft. canopy tent and 2' x 4' folding tables from Amazon.com, and designed new business cards. I already had display stands from past trunk shows, and earlier in the year I bought some glass topped display cases, so people could see everything easily, and it looked professional. My set up changed from day to day, as Grace and I fine tuned it, with the last day being the best display. I only got a picture of the first day's set up.



My daughter, Grace, was such a help! She worked with me all three days of the festival, settting up in the mornings, greating and assisting customers, and packing the jewelry to bring home each night. It was so nice to spend the weekend sitting outside with her.












The first day was my best day. I sold several of my seahorses and Eni Oken style coiled bangle bracelets, and made enough that if I didn't sell anything else the whole weekend, I would have been happy. Saturday brought a lot of lookers to my booth, and I gave out dozens of my cards to customers, so they could also shop for my work through my Etsy shop. Sunday was another busy sales day, and the day I did a number of fantastic trades with other artists at the show. I traded a necklace and a pair of earrings for a beautiful oil painting of a pinto horse by Timi Savier. She also does beautiful bronze castings. You can check out her works on her website: www.belcavallo.com














I also traded another necklace and earrings for a beautiful, organic gold ring set with a faceted pink tourmaline by Bob Rodman, a jeweler from the town of Fairfield, ID, which is just a few miles west of here. My last trade was a pair of earrings for a beautiful reclaimed pine mirror with a beautiful mountain scene burned into the top of the mirror, and a heron in a pond on the bottom corner. The pond that the heron is standing in is made from a ring in the grain of the wood. I also bought a purple, pottery bowl from Regina of Personalized Pottery from Pocatello, ID. She also shows her pottery in The Loft here in Hailey. Check out her website, too! www.masakpottery.com






My friend and neighbor, Colleen Pace, of For The Birds, makes whimsical, edible birdhouses, and has done the Ketchum Arts Festival for years. This year, she won the best booth award, and with good reason! Her booth looked so beautiful! I am working with her to help her set up an Etsy shop, and will let you know when it is up and running.







I collected information from a number of other artists at the show whose work I really liked. Here are the web site addresses for those who have one:

Helen Glidden was the painted silk artist who was set up right next to me. Such beautiful work!
www.hgliddenartist.com

I have been a fan of Melissa Graves Brown's paintings since I first moved to Hailey! She has a number of her paintings shown locally at CK's Restaurant and in Galena Lodge, and she just opened a store in downtown Hailey. I hope to one day own some of her work.
www.melissagravesbrown.com

Karen McCall of Ketchum makes wonderful hand-painted floor cloths:
www.karenmccallart.com

The photography of Joe Bauwens and Marybeth Flower is stunning!
www.piazzabook.com

Kathryn McNeal is another artist who shows her work in The Loft. Her mountain scenes are quite popular!
www.kathrynmcneal.com

I bought a number of bars of the wonderful, handmade soaps from Susanne Schlador of Lavande De Bois.
www.lavandedebois.com

All in all, I had a great time, and look forward to doing the festival again next year!
Thanks for coming by! 'Til next time!
~Pippi

4 comments:

Shay Stone said...

Congratulations on a successful festival Pippi. Your booth looks very simple and elegant and it sounds like you did great. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. People need to be exposed to you and your work! :)

Kathleen Krucoff said...

Wow Pippi...this sounds great. I like the look of your booth, outdoor shows scare me right now...maybe someday. And what cool trades you made. I've done a couple of trades and they sure do seem special to me. Thanks for sharing!

Thecraftytrundler said...

Wish I could have been there, it looked fantastic!! To meet all those fellow crafters,trade, and have such a great helpmate - just perfect!!
I noticed on blogger here you made the wedding headdress for the bride!! Would love to see pics of that!! You are one great crafter!!
Have a lovely week!!

Sharon xx

Lola D said...

GIRL you have been busy! love the new business card!

I'm just now back from vacation- a month in paradise just to come back to boring Ohio yuck!!!

:)