08 December 2008

Snowflakes and Seahorses

I read the most fascinating article the other day about snowflakes, and how they form. There was also an interview with an artist who is working on a series of mandala paintings of snowflakes as a study in sacred geometry. In the interview, the artist spoke about how the water vapor that becomes snow is part of the God Mind, and forms into six-sided crystals as an expression of sacred geometry. It made me think about my artwork, and how all the ideas for pieces I have floating around in my Mind crystallize as they fall through the atmosphere of my hands to become a solid form in this world, sparkling and beautiful like snowflakes!

My dreams have been full of my seahorses lately, both those I have made, and those still waiting to be born. I decided to look up the symbolic meaning of seahorses. Here is an excerpt of what I found:

The symbolic meaning of seahorse is quite intricate and diverse as this little creature itself is full of surprises.

The seahorse is quite a unique creature, and thought to have mystical significance among the Ancient Greeks, European (alchemists) and Asians.

The Ancient Greeks and Romans believed the seahorse was an attribute of the sea god Neptune/Poseidon and as such, the seahorse was considered a symbol of strength and power.

Further, the ancient Europeans believed that the seahorse carried the souls of deceased sailors to the underworld - giving them safe passage and protection until the met their soul’s destination.

Chinese cultures believed that the seahorse was a type of sea dragon, and as such they were revered for their power and thought to be symbols of good luck.

Sailors have long viewed the seahorse as a good luck charm too.


Symbolic meaning of Seahorses carry the following significances:

  • Patience
  • Friendliness
  • Protection
  • Inflexibility
  • Perspective
  • Generosity/Sharing
  • High-Perception
  • Persistence
  • Contentment
Sounds good to me!

wishing you winter wonder!
~Pippi


2 comments:

athena-stars said...

hi pippi,

i love your jewelleries! looks wonderful one-of-a-kind!

out of curiousity, do you do shipment overseas? for example to singapore?

greta job by the way, keep up the good work!

pippijewelry said...

Thanks Athena!

I do ship overseas. Many of the pieces shown here in my blog are also in my etsy shop, or if you want me to make a custom piece, I would be happy to do so.

All the best in the coming new year!
Pippi