26 December 2008

Into the new year...


It is hard to believe that this year is almost over already! I hope you all had a joyous holiday season! The snows in the Pacific northwest wreaked havoc with our holiday plans, and our daughter was not able to make it here for the holiday, which saddened us all. We did, however, have a very white Christmas. We got over 2 feet of snow in one day! I spent a couple of hours yesterday shoveling out our driveway, and today, my husband and I went skiing.

After we returned home, tired but happy, I spent some time in my studio, finishing up a few projects, and assessing what I want to get done before the new year. I have several pieces in the works that I would like to have done before 2009 arrives, so I can start with a clean workbench. The first project on my list to finish is the bracelet my younger daughter requested I make. The second is the partner to a very ornate, tribal-inspired hoop earring I made, and a necklace I am working on using a silver Ganesha pendant I traded for with another Etsy seller. I also need to make the second of a pair of earrings based on a Roman gold earring with pearls that was recently found in a dig in Jerusalem. You can read about the original earring and see a picture here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27643317/

I love it when pieces of jewelry from thousands of years ago are found. Much of my work is inspired by these beautiful, ancient works. When I was a little girl, I used to pour through National Geographic articles about ancient jewelry. I remember thinking then that I wanted to be able to make such beautiful things, and now that I have realized this dream, I smile to think that one day, centuries from now, someone may find a piece I made, and be inspired by its beauty. Of all the art I have made over the years, none is as durable as my jewelry. My quilts and cloth dolls will eventually decay, as will the things I have crocheted. My paintings may last a bit longer, but they, too, are subject to the elements. Metal and gemstones, however, can withstand time and the elements far better, so there is a chance it could happen. This is something I think about with every piece I make. It will, more than likely, out live me, and if it is found far in the future, I want the people who find it to be amazed by it!

So, here's to an amazing new year! Let yourself shine!
All the best,
Pippi

3 comments:

Triz Designs said...

I just visited you shop, you have some beautiful pieces!!! wishing you a very happy new year!!! :-)

Designed for Time said...

Pippi, I remember the article on the ear ring that was found. I would love to see the finished product. I remember thinking that it was a really stunning piece for that age.
Lloyd

Misa Novenkova said...

Happy New Year Pippi! I just peeked at your profile and found out that we're almost neighbours - I live and work in Jackson Hole. And since you're a massage therapist, you definitely know some of my colleagues (I work in a spa) who also live in Sun Valley.... Crazy, this world is surely shrinking!
I love your jewellery.
Misa