18 October 2008

Little Jeweled Lizard



I have had an idea of making one of these little guys floating around in my head for a while now, and after watching a movie about the Galapagos Islands last night (so many lizards!) I decided to have a go at it. I sat in a sunny chair in the living room all afternoon, carefully coiling away!

I have two particular memories of lizards that went through my head as I created this little jeweled replica:

The first was when I was 11 years old. My family was driving to Wyoming to visit my grandmother, and we stopped by the Platte river in Ogalla, Nebraska for a lunch break. My oldest brother caught a tiny little lizard along the banks of the river. It was the most incredible thing I'd ever seen! It was smaller than the one I made.

The second was when I was in high school. I had worked after school for over a year to save the money so I could go on the school trip to France. We were touring the gardens at Villandry, in the Loire Valley, and I spotted a little lizard perched on a sunny wall in the garden. I managed to snap a picture of it. Lovely!

This lizard is a kind of 3-D snapshot. He is made of several meters of fine silver wire wrapped with hundreds of Thai silver, tourmaline and ruby faceted beads over an aperture of hammered sterling silver wire. His eyes are tiny faceted rubies, and he has spots of multi-colored tourmalines on his back. I used Thai silver cube beads for his belly, to give it that smooth scaly look like a real lizard. He has a wire loop tongue, so he can be worn as a pendant.

He turned out better than I had hoped, and now I want to make more! So fun!



Thanks for coming to visit! Enjoy!
~Pippi

No comments: